Here is the Cole's Notes version of this story:
- In October 2010 a young Asian man (we don't know his country of origin because that's privileged info) gets on a plane in Hong Kong destined to Vancouver disguised as a very old Caucasian.
- No one checks his passport or ID
- On the plane, he sheds his disguise.
- In Vancouver he is taken into custody
- On Feb 10 he is released on $5k bond until his refugee claim is heard
"Adjudicator Anita Merai-Schwartz said that even though he had used a smuggling operation to get to Canada, the debt to them appeared to have been paid and that any influence they might have had on him appeared to have diminished."
WTF does that even mean? It's OK if you use a criminal organization to get you into Canada as long as you pay them? This scumbag now gets to live in Toronto and that's probably the last anyone is going to hear from him.
Most days I am proud to be a Canadian. This isn't one of them. Surely I can't be the only Canadian pissed off with Anita Merai-Schwartz's decision. The worst part of this whole story is we may not have ever heard about it unless someone leaked it to CNN. Read the sordid details on the Vancouver Sun website.