Technology is changing the way we build relationships and find love. Today, it’s easy to connect with a more diverse range of people through social media, online dating and mobile apps. You can instantly get a summary of someone’s life and past history through pictures they have posted online and comments they have made. This article explores how relationships have changed for baby boomers.
How we used to date
When we were younger, dating happened in very traditional ways. Couples partnered off in school or at university. Failing that we hooked up with work colleagues, met people through friends or connected with someone similar through a social club. You could also pick someone up at a bar or club on a night out.
As we are getting increasingly busier, however, as well as being more selective in our search for love, many of these options are not as successful as they used to be.
How technology impacts the way we date now
With the advances in technology, there are now plenty of new and innovative ways to meet other singles. With the introduction of smartphones, social media sites and online dating, we can connect with people all over the globe, finding others who share our interests without being limited by space and social situation.
It’s also much easier to get to know someone, as many people post a lot of information online. This means you know almost instantly whether you think you would get along with a person. You won’t have to waste time and energy on first dates with people who are clearly not your type.
The pros and cons of online dating
Many people have met and formed solid, successful relationships through online dating sites like eHarmony UK. It’s a great option if you’re an older single as you can specifically search for people who are interested in senior dating. Here are some of the pros and cons of online dating:
- It’s easy and convenient – you can set it all up from the comfort of your own home.
- It isn’t awkward – you can get to know someone before you meet face to face.
- You can reach a wider range of people – you aren’t limited in who you meet.
- You can narrow down and specify what you’re looking for in a partner and a relationship.
- It can be harder to tell if there’s chemistry, because to start with you’re only interacting over email.
- You cannot tell for sure if you would get on face to face.
- You don’t know if people are being completely honest about themselves until you meet them.
As a baby boomer, our lives have changed dramatically as we have grown older. As the world moves forward, we need to move with it. We need to make the most of all that technology has to offer when it comes to building relationships and finding love.